Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Slow progress

I'm back at work and as expected my knitting time has dropped dramatically. But I'm slowly getting there. I have been working on my owls sweater, and have completed the first set of waist decreases. I know the calculations for the shaping, according to my body and gauge. I also have plans for a new way of shaping the sweater to my bust. I have found all my sweaters and cardigans have too much fabric at the back, but fit fine in the front. So after reading up on shaping, in particular "fit to flatter" I am going to increase up to the size underneath my bust, then do dome short row shaping to fit my bust. That's the plan anyway.

My second monkey has just finished the cuff, and that's it. Very slow progress, a row here and there, but that's all. I have been enjoying knitting my sweater on larger needles for now.

On a sad note, another pair of handknit socks have died. I really hope that my new socks on 64 stitches will last longer.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Not a stitch in sight

I moved house yesterday, and it was the first day I can remember that I did not knit a single stitch. Or spin.

The move took 3 truckloads, over a dozen carloads, but now it is almost over. The other house still needs a massive clean and there is a lot of stuff to go to the tip. All this will have to be done by others because I go back to work tomorrow.

I was up til 2am setting things up. And a bottle and a half of Shiraz. Today I'm in agony. My body is aching.

I also feel a bit nostalgic about the other house, so much happened there and I'm kind of sad to leave, even though a fresh start is exciting.

Today I have the second monkey sock and my owls sweater to work on. And of course my spinning. Hoping I get plenty of time for knitting and spinning today.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Still a little small

I finished my first variegated monkey and I'm not so sure it's fitting right. This is really disappointing as the last pair of socks I knit with 64 stitches on 2.25mm needles fit perfectly.

But the monkey seems a bit tight, particularly when trying to get it over the heel. I'm not sure if it's the lace stitches reducing the stretch ( which I assume it is) or if it's that the needles I used are too small. I know the pattern suggests 2.5mm needles but this size is not as readily available here in Australia. Not impossible, but not as easy to find.

I have located some addi turbo 40cm circulars in 2.5mm on eBay, which I might order, or I'll have to go for a drive to sunspun, which is a yarn store that sells knit pro and addi's I believe.

I'm still loving the color, but I think it'll be the last pair of monkeys I knit. But I think I will look at more cookie a patterns to knit, I have enjoyed them.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

I am married

A little off topic, especially since I have barely knit a stitch in the last few days, but as of Saturday, I am a married woman! We have been together for almost 11 years and have 2 kids, yet it was still a nerve-wracking experience. But now it is over, I had a wonderful time and am very happy.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Variegated Monkeys

I have started a new pair of monkey socks by Cookie A. My last pair popped in the ball of the foot. Hoping these ones last longer. They are a nylon blend this time. I'm knitting them with King Cole Zig Zag sock yarn in purple. Was lucky enough to buy this skein and 2 others on sale.

Unfortunately I don't own a pair of 2.5mm needles and couldn't find any at the shops. So I'm using 2.25mm needles. This is what I used last time as well. I briefly considered going up to 2.75mm but thought they would probably be too big.

Either way they are so pretty and soft!

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

64stitch socks

I completed a new pair of socks, using 64 stitches instead of my usual 56. I was finding that on a few pairs the socks were getting tighter and one pair in particular was unwearable. I also found a few pairs popping in the ball of the foot. So I threw them away.

But this got me thinking that perhaps I was making my socks too small, with too much negative ease. So I knit a pair with more stitches, and I am pleased to say they fit really well. Snug but not constricting.

We will see how they go over time, but I am hoping they are more durable, long wearing and comfortable.

As a side note, they are knit from Moda Vera Noir sock yarn from Spotlight. Colorway is unknown, but a mix of pink, purple, orange and green. Very happy with the results.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Food dye blanket

I have completed, washed and blocked my log cabin blanket. This blanket has been made from wool that I dyed back in January, using vinegar and food dyes. The blanket is colorful and my kids love it.

The wool I used is not the softest, but ideal for a blanket, and it is lovely and warm.

This photo does not do the blanket justice, the colors are deep, vibrant and so happy! I have some wool left which I considered making as tassels, but for now I can't be bothered.

I am very happy to be finished with it though, the garter stitch was getting s bit numbing, and the blanket was getting very awkward to knit on due to it's size.

Now to focus on socks, an adapted version of the owls sweater and probably a lace shawl as well. No garter stitch for a while!