Thursday, November 10, 2011

Muddy Baktus

When I went to the Bendigo Sheep and Wool Show back in July, I purchased Mountain Mist Merino/Bamboo top which you can see here. It is a gorgeous top, I adore the colors and the bamboo/ merino blend was unbelieveably soft. As soon as my Mum saw the top she wanted me to spin it up for her. So I did.
I'm not sure how much I like the finish product, it is definately growing on my. I had never spun anything quite so colorful before, and I just spun it. No color seperation, no attempt at any control, just spinning. It was really pretty as a single, and one I made it a 2 ply, the colors muddied together til you were left with what you can see above, an interesting color with no obvious or distinct colors. At first I hated it, although now it has kinda grown on me.

The way it looks below appealed to me, and my sense of color. But I gave it to my mum. I knit the baktus scarf. But because of my spinning, which I mostly blame on not having spun for a long time and the fibre I was spinning, the finished product was closer to a worsted weight and certainly inconsistant. 
I did not enjoy spinning the blend, I found it very slippery, very difficult to control and it kept breaking on me. I struggled to get any consistancy within the fibre, and the thick and thin spots were as if it was a first spinning project. I think I will stick to animal fibres for my spinning. After all why spin it if you don't enjoy it? But the fibre was beautiful, and soft and I wish I had enjoyed it more. But I guess it's all part of the learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment