Thursday, November 18, 2010

Memorised Kitchener

I think I have finally memorised the Kitchener stitch. On the Tangled Yoke Cardigan, the pattern requires you to graft the underarms together using Kitchener stitch. I decided to see if I could do it from memory, and I did! Including remembering the set-up stitches. So I am very proud of myself at the moment.

Today I worked solely on the Tangled Yoke, and had a nightmare with the collar. The collar requires you to pick up stitches inside the cardigan, to fold the collar over and make a neater finish. And for some reason today, I just had my uncordinated hands on, I think. Not only did I somehow pick up stitches on an angle that ended up higher than it should be, I didn't notice until I had 3 needle bind-off half the stitches. So rip. Got it all back on track and then for some unknown reason I decided to pull out the needle holding the picked up stitches. I had a major WTF moment then.

Finally I got it all back on, finished the bind off, grafted the underarms and tried it on.......PERFECT! I could not be happier. The length is perfect, adding the 5 inches on before the shaping worked perfectly. The shaping matches up with my body and makes a very flattering shape. The arms are the right length, the yoke is the right depth, and even the collar, which I thought may be bound off too tight.....sat just right.

Tonight I hope to start on the button bands and tomorrow venture out on a hunt for buttons. I really hope I can find some that work. I will also have to calculate how many I want considering the extra length I added.

On a personal note, I am thinking about cutting my hair by about 3-4 inches. Bring it up to my shoulders. Not sure it's that or getting foils, or both. I need a change and my hair is so dark, I get sick of it sometimes. I think a lighter shade may soften my face a bit. I am hoping to see a new hairdresser who will actually give advice and recommendations, not just a "whatever you want" attitude. I'm not too good with choosing flattering styles or colours for myself, so sometimes you do need help.

No comments:

Post a Comment