Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Wave Shawl

I realised this morning that as we are only 6 weeks from Christmas, I had better get moving on my Mother-In-Law's Wave Shawl. I haven't made much progress on it lately, I've been too preoccupied with finishing my Tangled Yoke Cardigan and my anklet socks. I have been using the socks as travel knitting in the car when taking my man to work in the mornings and picking him up at night, but I think I need to take the shawl along instead. The pattern is very simple for the body, just knitting in stockinette with yarn overs placed to increase the shawl evenly.
But as you can see, I have made very little progress considering the size of the shawl, it is a big style, pictured to cover most of the upper body. The color is Pale Eucalypt from Bendigo Woollen Mills, and at first I wasn't a big fan of it, but the colour is really growing on me. As you can see I still have a long way to go before I reach the lace edging.
I have chosen not to add the sleeve in the pattern, just didn't really like it. I'm also not sure if I will make it as big as the pattern says. We'll see how it goes. I'm loving the fabric that the needles are creating and I am developing a real love for finer yarns. The delicate nature, and the finer gauges all appeal to me. Although 5ply isn't overly fine, It is much finer than even the 8ply.
It is refreshing (and odd) working with the larger needles too, I think I'm using 5.5mm, and I've been using 3.75mm on the cardigan and 2.25mm for my socks. Definately a lot bigger, but at least it gives the hole in my finger a rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment