Friday, November 26, 2010

My First Spinning Wheel

On Wednesday I visited a member of my S'n'B group, (that I struggle to attend most of the time due to kids, life etc.) and was introduced to my first spinning wheel. It is an Ashford Traditional and came with 4 bobbins and a Lazy Kate and a bag of unwashed fleece and a bag of prepared fleece which you can see here. An absolutely stunning chocolate brown. I don't know the breed, but I love the color andd the feel of the roving. So, I got a lesson as a bonus and began spinning. I think I got the hang of it pretty quickly, and I have spent at least an hour each night spinning. I'm not sure of the quality I have spun, nor whether it will be usable, but for the most part I think I have maintained an even consistancy. There are certainly thinner and thicker parts, as well as occasional lumps, but over all I'm very pleased with my acheivements, which you can see here.
And finally, here is the wheel. I love it! I think it is gorgeous with the decorative spokes in the wheel, and the staining. The wheel is in excellent condition, works fabulously and all day I just want to spin on it. But I can't during the day because my kids are so fascinated with it that their little hands cannot resist trying to touch it everytime they pass it!
I also got given a bag of raw fleece that needs to be cleaned, carded and (probably) dyed. It is white so it should show colours fabulously. I haven't tried any of the above so I'm sure they will all be an adventure with many stories! A very exciting adventure that I'm loving already. Once I have finished this bobbin I intend to fill another and then ply them together to see if they balance each other out. I hope they do. I am having fun!

1 comment: